A future for all our pasts

Helping our members save the UK’s heritage assets.

Frequently Asked Questions

Before you contact us, please look at our Frequently Asked Questions to see if we can help you, or if we will need to refer you to another source of information.

Who can join Heritage Trust Network?

Anyone who is interested in helping to preserve built heritage to ensure a future for all our pasts.  See our membership page to determine the best kind of membership for you.

How do I pay for my membership?

You will be invoiced for your membership and can then pay via BACS or cheque; details of which will be found on the invoice.

How can I tell if a building is listed?

You can search for statutory listed building status on the Historic England website.  However, some buildings are listed locally and your council will be able to advise about that.

My private house is a listed building; can you help me?

Unfortunately not. We are a charitable organisation designed to help other charities, or not for profit groups, and as such do not have the capacity to support private owners.

If you are looking for practical advice about how to restore your property, you might like to consider SPAB (the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings).  They run a range of practical courses and are experts in historic building maintenance techniques.

For any other queries, you could look at the Listed Property Owners Club which is designed to support owners of private listed buildings.

Another source of advice, depending on the nature of your enquiry, would be your local authority’s Conservation Officer.  If your council still has an officer in post, you should be able to find their contact details on the council’s website.

Do you offer funding?

No, but we work closely with heritage funders such as the Architectural Heritage Fund and we signpost our members to a wealth of organisations that do.

How can I get a building listed? How can I get a building listed?

You can apply to Historic England who will make an assessment as to whether the building can be granted listed status.

What changes can I make to a listed building?

Information on listed building consent can be found on the Historic England website.  Specific enquiries about applications to make alternations to a listed building need to be directed to the Planning Department / Conservation Officer at your local council.

How do I get involved with volunteering?

If you send us an email with the geographical area you wish to work in, and details of the sort of tasks you are interested in doing, we will try and match you with one of our member organisations in your area.

We can also sometimes make use of volunteers at Heritage Network Trust; usually as photographers or case study gatherers.

Catch up on our latest news. Find out more

Join Us

Become a member


How to give


Find out more